If you have air conditioning, you may have some concerns about when it may need some professional attention. You may even wonder if it’s time to invest in a new cooling solution. At Hammock’s AC, we like to be as helpful as possible when meeting the needs and expectations of our customers in the north metro Atlanta area. Below we’ll answer some commonly questions asked about air conditioning.
How do I know if my AC may be broken?
The most obvious sign is a unit or system that simply isn’t working to meet your expectations. The may be too hot or too cold. But there are some less-noticeable signs that also suggest it’s time to have a trained technician from Hammock’s AC evaluate your AC. Some of these include:
- Higher than usual utility bills
- Uneven cooling
- Cycles that are too long or too short
- Strange noises during operation
- Water around the indoor air handler
What should I do if cool air stops flowing?
Check your thermostat. This is a common reason for a sudden lack of airflow if your AC normally works well. If the display on your thermostat is blank, check the batteries to see if they need to be replaced. If this isn’t the problem, take the following steps:
- Use a multi-meter to check your thermostat’s voltage
- Check the fuse box where it’s linked to your AC’s outlet
- Check your AC’s condenser unit outside to see if there’s a tripped/blown fuse
If you’ve ruled out possible thermostat issues, put the fan on to see if the blower is receiving power. Changing your AC’s filter or clearing the condensation drain may also do the trick. If you’re still having no luck, the Hammock’s AC team is at your service.
What temperature should I set my thermostat at?
The best temperature is whatever is comfortable for you and your family. For many homeowners in the Atlanta area, this is between 75 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
What are the benefits of professional AC maintenance?
Even if you’re not having any noticeable AC issues, you can benefit from routine AC maintenance. With routine checks and inspections, minor problems can be corrected before they become major headaches.
What if my AC freezes?
This is a sign of restricted air flow. Turn the unit off and check the filter. If this isn’t the problem, check the vents or give us a call.
Do I need to replace my air conditioner?
We realize replacing or updating your cooling equipment is an investment. However, there are four factors to consider when weighing your AC repair vs. replacement options:
- Age: Air conditioning normally lasts 10-20 years, so if your unit or system is past the decade mark, replacement is worth considering.
- Higher utility bills: If routine repairs aren’t getting your utility bills back in check, it may be time to explore your options more efficient cooling products.
- Refrigerant leaks: If you have an older air conditioner, refrigerant leaks can be costly, especially if your AC uses a type of refrigerant that’s no longer permissible.
- Repair costs: Repairs can be extremely cost-effective if you have an AC that only needs minor attention. But if repair costs are high, give replacement some thought.
Should I be worried about a condensation leak?
Because air conditioners remove humidity from your indoor spaces, a little bit of condensation is perfectly normal. But excessive condensation is often a sign of a drainage problem. Possible issues include:
- A condensate pan that’s rusty
- Poor or faulty installation
- A condensate line that’s clogged
- Low refrigerant levels
How often should I change my filter?
If you have a single occupant home with no pets and you no allergy issues, the recommendation is every 6-12 months. For the average suburban home, filters should be changed every 60-90 days.
How do I change my AC’s filter?
Look for a filter with a higher minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) since this means your filter is more effective. You’ll then follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install it.
How can Hammock’s AC help?
If you think your air conditioning system or unit isn’t working as efficiently as it could be, the team from Hammock’s AC is here to help. We have trained comfort technicians available throughout the Atlanta metro area. Contact us today to request service.